What Will a Deployment Involve?
What Will a Mifos Deployment Involve?
A framework to evaluate how Mifos will work for an MFI and to understand what it would take - in time and resources - to deploy Mifos. An MFI will want to have their local IT consultant or Mifos Specialist complete this assessment.
Complete a gap analysis of the business requirements of the MFI and the Mifos system:
- List functionality required by the MFI that are currently not part of Mifos functionality and the use case for the functionality
- List the human and infrastructure resources required to deploy Mifos that currently do not exist at MFI
- You can use this survey to assist with gap analysis in this process
Put forward a recommendation for any business process change required to deploy the Mifos system:
- List recommended process changes with references to the existing process maps.
Evaluate Server Hosting Requirements for the MFI to deploy Mifos in its branches
- Hardware requirements with configurations for server; map of these requirements against current inventory and a list of options to fill any gaps
- Options for hosting provider based on requirements
- Security and other requirements (e.g. back-up) for hosting and network architecture. Map these requirements against proposed hosting solution
Evaluate Branch Infrastructure and Provide Options
- Connectivity and fail over options
- Evaluate power resources and UPS options
- Branch office computer needs
- printing needs and options
- Hardware configurations and gaps in current inventory against these requirements
- List the connectivity options including service details and costs
- Evaluate environmental factors on power and connectivity
System administration resource requirements document (deployment, ongoing maintenance and user support).
- List the human resources required to administer the system during and after deployment and their respective roles & responsibilities
- Assess training needs.
Define Scope, Timeline, and Tasks for a Mifos Deployment
Based on the gap analysis, list the development (customization) requirements (if any) and high level specifications to adapt the Mifos product to meet the business needs of MFI:
- Provide a high level description of proposed features
Meet several times with MFI business process owners to define existing processes as they occur in legacy systems
- Document existing IT systems; offline and online procedures
- Document ledger systems
- Evaluate existing business processes, documents and vocabulary
- new client documents, new group forms, other forms
- vocabulary: What special terms does the MFI use that will need to be accommodated
- Document changes to business practices. How will day-to-day activities change using Mifos?
- Define and document offline procedures.
- Determine Configuration Options
Define reporting needs for MFI:
- Generate a list of reports required by MFI with priority (critical, highly desirable, not required).
For each report listed, include
- the data fields required in the report
- the use case for the report.
- format of data in report
Define the data migration needs for the MFI and propose an approach for this migration:
Description of what data to transfer to the Mifos system – data fields (or tables or groups of) and inclusive dates
- Will the MFI want all or some of its historical data?
- Will only active accounts migrate?
- Will historical data for the active accounts only?
- Description of what data to transfer to the Mifos system – data fields (or tables or groups of) and inclusive dates
- Identify challenges in data migration , for example gaps in data, dirty data, logistical challenges
Identify procedure for migrating data
Suggested method for transferring historical data to Mifos
- - manual entry? migration tool?
- - estimated time for completing this transfer
- Suggested method for transferring historical data to Mifos
- Identify procedure for migrating data
Recommendation for allocating resources (roles and responsibilities) from MFI and Mifos Specialist for the deployment and post-deployment phase:
- List of roles and responsibilities for deployment project teams
- Identify DEDICATED PROJECT MANAGER to coordinate deployment at MFI
- Provide STRONG PROJECT MANAGEMENT from Mifos Specialist
Post-deployment roles: who will perform:
- Mifos upgrades
- database maintenance
- daily maintenance
- Administrative roles in Mifos
Create Training Plan
What training needs to occur?
- Head Office Training
- Branch Training
- Who will conduct training? The first round of training should be conducted by someone knowledgeable about BOTH Old and new business processes, as well as Mifos itself.
- Where and when will training occur?
- What training needs to occur?
Draft project plan and timeline for the Mifos deployment.
- Key activities, tasks estimated time to complete, estimated start dates
- Resource, weather, terrain, holiday, and hardware delivery considerations included