The Mifos Initiative (formerly known as the Community for Open Source Microfinance) is a U.S. tax exempt organization under Section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code. Our EIN is 45-3613178, and our Effective Date of Exemption is October 12, 2011.
Upon transitioning out of the Grameen Foundation in 2011, The Community for Open Source Microfinance (COSM) was incorporated as a Washington State non-profit corporation on October 12, 2011 to lead the community. The original Mifos codebase and intellectual property were transitioned to the Software Freedom Conservancy, serving as fiscal sponsor until COSM became a 501(c)3.
We applied for our 501(c)3 designation with the US Internal Revenue Service in March 2012 and received our positive determination in July 2013. Upon successful designation, COSM assumed control over the Mifos trademarks and intellectual property and renamed The Community for Open Source Microfinance to the Mifos Initiative.
- 501(c)3 Designation Letter, received on July 23, 2013
- Form 1023, as filed in March 2012
- Certificate of Incorporation, granted by Washington State on October 12, 2011
- Articles of Incorporation, approved by Washington State on October 12, 2011 (amended to reflect name change in 2014)
- 2014 Mifos Annual Report
- Form 990 Annual Return – 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015